The site was first occupied by a son of Baron Mostyn of Mostyn in the 15th Century. In 1670, the title of 'Baronet' was conferred on Edward Mostyn of Talacre by Charles II in gratitude for his support in the Ulster Campaign. At that time, the family lived in a Jacobean Mansion House on the site. The current Mansion was built by the 7th Baronet Mostyn in the 1820s reflects the considerable wealth and status that the family had accrued. The House is late Regency in the Tudor-gothic style, built from Ashlar sandstone from the family's own quarries and using oak from the Estate. The Talacre Estate originally comprised over 6,300 acres, which included farms, quarries and woodlands around Talacre Hall, plus the Greenfield Valley industrial area and adjacent farms and extensive land with valuable mineral resources including lead and coal. Stone from Gwespyr quarries, besides being used for building was exported as sharpening stones worldwide. The Mostyns left the property in 1920 following the deaths of two Baronets in quick succession. It was occupied by an order of Benedictine Nuns as an Abbey until the late 20th Century when it once more became a family home.